Dreams & Visions
God not only reveals Himself plainly to all mankind in scripture, but He also speaks to us personally in dreams and visions. There are many examples in the Bible where God has spoken to people in this way.
Joseph – God sent an angel to Joseph in a dream telling him not to be afraid to take Mary as his wife as the child she was to bear was from the Holy Spirit; Joseph obeyed thereby fulfilling what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet Isaiah. Jesus was born and God spoke to Joseph in a dream again to tell him to take his family to Egypt so Herod would not kill Jesus; God would later again speak to Joseph in a dream telling him that it was safe to return to the land of Israel.
Pilate’s wife – Whilst Pilate sat on the judgement seat during Jesus’ trial, his wife sent for him telling him to have nothing to do with Jesus’ case; this was as a result of a dream she had.
Cornelius – God spoke to this centurion through a vision. He saw clearly in a vision an angel of God who told him to send for Simon Peter and listen to what he has to say. Cornelius acted upon the vision and through Simon Peter’s preaching, Cornelius and his household were saved.
Solomon – At Gibeon, the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream saying ‘Ask! What shall I give you?’. The scriptures say that Solomon chose to have an understanding heart and discernment between good and evil (wisdom).
So, it is clear that God uses dreams and visions in several ways, here are a few:
- To bring caution, instruction and direction - we must be open to His leading
- To get our attention – if we are not careful, God’s voice is drowned out in the busyness of life, we become dull to the voice of the Holy Spirit. God can use our dreams to help us hear what the Holy Spirit is saying
- To reveal any sin in our lives – God may use dreams to reveal the true condition of our heart
Why not ask the Lord today to come into your dreams or give you a vision and see how he speaks to you personally?
In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls upon men, while slumbering on their beds, Then He opens the ears of men, and seals their instruction. In order to turn man from his deed, and conceal pride from man. He keeps back his soul from the Pit, and his life from perishing by the sword. Job 33:15-18
Nightmares & Night Terrors
You may have had a bad dream, nightmare or demonic attack in your sleep at some point in your life or are experiencing these now.
It is important to know that God promises all believers sweet sleep. There are several reasons why you may experience these things, but, know that your mind is the Lord’s and you can have victory and enjoy restful sleep again. You do not need to live in fear.
- Repent of any known sin in your life or engagement in practices that do not honour the Lord (e.g. visiting psychics, meditation and hypnotism)
- Remove objects from your home that are spiritually unclean e.g. dreamcatchers, good luck charms
- Meditate on God’s word day and night and focus on His word before you sleep
- Be encouraged knowing that Jesus has overcome all the works of the enemy that seek to rob you of His peace
- Pray and be filled with the Holy Spirit continuously – live life in close communion with Jesus
- Exercise your spiritual authority as a believer in Christ over evil spirits and rebuke the fear
- Ask the Lord to give you dreams of His kingdom. Your dreams will change e.g. you may have a dream that the Lord wants to use to encourage the church. The Holy Spirit will prompt you to share it when the time is right. A dream from the Lord will always edify and strengthen you and others.
Proverbs 3:24 says" When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet".